|From: Healthy Workplaces Successful Strategies in the Food Processing Industry |
What causes injuries related to manual handling and repetitive
The most common injuries to the back and neck may be caused by:
· handling heavy loads
· frequent and repetitive lifting
· handling loads that are difficult or awkward to grip because of their size and shape
· awkward postures while lifting, such as twisting, bending, or reaching
· slipping on greasy or wet floors
· extreme bending of the neck or back for long duration
You can take the following steps to prevent these injuries:
- Reduce physical exertion of the hands, arms, and shoulders.
- Reduce excessive gripping force.
- Design and organize the workplace to make manual handling easier.
- Provide lifting and handling equipment.
- Use safe techniques when handling loads.
- Provide training in manual handling skills.
Author: magludi1 Version: 1 Language: English Category: Food Industry Safety Views: 88
Picture: Source: http://www.lni.wa.gov/Safety/Research/HealthyWorkplaces/files/hwp_strategies.pdf
Audio: Felipe Sarro, J.S. Bach, Cello Suite 1 Source: www.freemusicarchive.org